Strap on your walking shoes and join the Sole Sisters walking group. This program is offered most Wednesdays (Not during the Christmas break or July and August) at various locations around the Oceanside area and is intended for women 50+, but all ages are welcome.
This is not a power walking group, but the group does walk at a moderate pace. There is a leader at the front and a leader at the back. No one is left on their own.
Time: Wednesdays, January 13 - June 30, 2021
Group A: Meets at 9:45am. Departs at 10:00am.
Group B: Meets at 10:15am. Departs at 10:30am.
Most walks are about 70 minutes long, but can vary, being as long as 90 minutes.
Cost: $10.00 suggested donation for the season . If you would like to donate by credit card, please scroll to the bottom of the page and use the Paypal button.
Walk location will be posted every Thursday and you can register for a walk up to the the day before, (Tuesday) by 4:00pm. You will only be required to complete the entire registration form for the first walk you register for. After that you must still sign up, but you will be directed to a simple sign up.
Maximum number of participants is 10, (Including the walk leaders) so please only sign up if you know you can make the walk. We are not able to welcome drop-in walkers at this time.
Please be sure to check here on Wednesday mornings for a cancellation, or a change in location, if the weather seems uncertain.
Find recipes submitted by the Sole Sisters on our Recipe page.
Thank you for reading the information below!
1. Please bring your own hand sanitizer and mask. Masks will be required upon arrival, during the check-in and check-out circle and any time on the walk that the group stops to regroup for directions. If you are comfortable to do so, it is encouraged to wear a mask while walking.
2. Covid-19 Safety questions will be asked by the leader at the welcome circle. The circle will be socially distanced.
3. Participants will be asked to walk in socially distanced groups of 2, with 3m between each person and 3m between the group ahead and the group behind. If you happen to come across other people walking on the trail, please give them a 3m berth by stepping off the trail, if you have to, and turning your back.
4. We would like each person to keep their name and emergency contact in a pocket and if possible wear a name tag. This can be as simple as a piece of masking tape with your name on it. With many new people, this will help the leaders identify you if you are injured or unwell.
5. Fast walkers MUST stay in contact with the front leader. If you happen to get ahead, stop and wait, or turn back to the leader. The leader should ALWAYS be at the front of the group. If you are not willing to do this, we will not be able to count you in as part of the walk, due to safety issues.
6. It is important that you do not leave from a walk until you have checked in with the leader, so no one is left behind.
7. As we are social distancing, this means that we cannot help each other up and down hills or over slippery logs and through muddy sections. If you have poles, consider bringing them. They can be a great help when navigating tricky terrain!
Don't forget to register for each Sole Sisters walk before you come. Drop-ins are not welcome at this time.
Description: The Thames Creek and Wildwood Trails are an extension of the Lighthouse Trail. The trillium and skunk cabbage are in full bloom, so plan on some great photo opportunities. The hike will go up one side of the creek and back down the other side crossing over a log bridge at the half way point. The walk is similar to Nile Creek in that it is a forest walk, lots of ups and downs, but nothing too rough. There are a couple of mucky areas so wear appropriate footwear. The Thames Trail is less than an hour walk, but the group will be able to extend the walk by continuing on the Wildwood Trail, which is a flat loop trail.
Directions: There are only a few parking spots at the entrance to the walk but you can park at Wildwood Church. Coming from Qualicum Beach, turn left on McColl Rd. The Island Gospel Centre (old Bowser School) is on that corner. Head up McColl to Wildwood Church on the left. Park there and make the short walk to trail entrance.
For more information, scroll to the bottom of the page to view the map.
Please Note: Registration for the Wednesday walks closes on Tuesday evenings at 4:00pm.
NEW! In order to comply with new guidelines, we will be walking as two groups of 10.
There are two forms below. Make sure that you are completing the correct form for the timeslot you want.
113 Mccoll Road, Bowser, British Columbia V0R 1G0, Canada
Your contributions make affordable youth programs possible in our community.